This post refers to this one from last week.
Once I heard about Bishop Wright appearing on the Colbert Report, I nearly wet myself instantly. The news came to me via this Titus One Nine post. While I enjoy Kendall Harmon’s selection of news, descending into the comments can be at one’s own risk. The blog’s managers (“elves”) keep things generally civil and on-topic, but there are a good many comments written with a keyboard dipped in acid.
To my surprise, there’s a follow-up article on Titus One Nine, written by Bishop Wright himself. In it, he responds, by handle, to several of the comments regarding his appearance on the Colbert Report! You never know who’s reading…
It’s good to see:
- Steven Colbert explaining his role on the show to his guests. He’s a hospitable guy.
- Any bishop responding civilly to criticism.
- Any bishop or scholar keeping up with blogs in their area.
- Any scholar to respond to all reactions to his or her work, not just with other scholars.
- A bishop as significant as N. T. Wright condescending to us mere blogging mortals for the same.
In his response, Bishop Wright wrote, “My aim is to expound the New Testament and get its message into the bloodstream of the church and out in the mission of the kingdom.” His book, his TV appearance and his gracious handling of blog comments all further this aim.
(This story is also picked up at Think Christian.)