Not long ago my iBook G4 gave up its ghost. I considered this an opportunity for Lenten discipline and went without it for several weeks. After lots of research, I settled on a replacement, the HP 2510p. Appropriately, it arrived during Easter Week.
Here’s a few of the reasons why I decided to go with this particular machine:
- It’s green in the sense of being certified EPEAT Gold. Absolutely all of the packaging it came in is recyclable.
- HP is an excellent company in many respects, from both technical and social perspectives.
- I’m not ultra-loyal to the Apple brand, especially after they ditched PowerPC.
- It’s ultra-mobile: it’s under 3.5 lbs and slightly larger than a sheet of letter paper.
- I can easily run Ubuntu on it. I’ve long admired free Unix but have never completely moved.
- Other techno-hippies are making the Apple to Ubuntu switch and their reasons are sound to me.
All in all: ultra-mobile, free software and green hardware. There’s certainly other machines that fit this description, but I couldn’t ask for anything more!